Transfer Credits

UBC Transfer Credit Tool

Transfer credit requests

  1. Consult the UBC Transfer Credit Tool to see if a decision has been made regarding the course in question. The BC Transfer Guide might also be useful.
  2. For credits obtained before admission to UBC (but not in one of the categories above), contact UBC Admissions
  3. If you are in the Faculty of Applied Science or Land and Food Systems, contact the advising office of your faculty
  4. If you are a visiting, second-degree or graduate student, or have transfer credit questions not covered by the above points, contact the Transfer Credit Advisor following the email instructions below.

If you have already contacted an appropriate office, and they asked you to contact the Mathematics Department directly, please include the email address of the person who referred you in your message.

Email Instructions 

Send the email to Prof. Tai-Peng Tsai at ttsai @

The subject line should read: 'Transfer Credits: [student id] [student name]'

In the body of the message include:

  1. Your current/intended faculty and programme, including whether you are a first-degree student, a second-degree student, a graduate student, etc.
  2. The institution where the courses were taken, and a copy of your transcript (informal transcript / screen printout are fine).
  3. For each course you want considered, as much as possible of the following information:
    1. The course name and number.
    2. The corresponding UBC MATH course numbers, if any - see UBC's Transfer Credit Tool.
    3. The total number of classroom lecture hours in the course.
    4. A detailed syllabus, the names of any textbook used.
    5. Sample course materials (exams, midterms, homeworks) allowing me to judge the level of the course. Courses without sufficient information will not be considered. 
  4. The names and contact details of any other advisors and advising offices you have contacted about this matter and their responses to you.

Note: MATH 320 and MATH 322 are keystones of the Honours program; specific credit for those courses based on courses taken elsewhere is rare.

Transfer credit results

UBC can recognize a Mathematics course taken at another university in three different ways:

  1. Specific credit for a UBC course, if there is a UBC course whose material you have covered entirely at the appropriate level. You will be exactly in the same situation as if you had taken that course at UBC.
  2. Generic credit if the courses you have taken are at an appropriate level but do not correspond to any specific UBC course. These are entered on your transcripts in the format "Math 1st(3)", "Math 3rd(6)" or similar and count as mathematics courses of the specified year and number of credits. Generic credits help satisfy degree requirements and course pre-requisites denominated in credits (e.g. total credits for graduation, or a pre-requisite of "at least 12 MATH credits 300-level and above").
  3. Exemption from a UBC course. This covers requirements based on this course (e.g. if the course is required for graduation or as a pre-requisite for further courses) but does not affect credit counts. Second-degree and graduate students may only receive exemptions.

Other information and resources

The BC Transfer Guide website contains further information concerning courses you might take at institutions within the provience:

  • For university level courses which transfer to UBC credit, check the Course Search Tool.
  • For high-school level courses which satisfy admission requirements or the calculus pre-requisites (especially BC PREC 12), visit the page on Adult Basic Education.