Graduate Degrees at UBC
UBC offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Mathematics. It usually takes two years to earn a Master's degree, and three or four more to earn a Ph.D.
Most branches of pure and applied mathematics can be pursued through the Mathematics Department. Students may also be interested in programs offered through the Institute of Applied Mathematics and the Department of Statistics.
There are many sound academic reasons for continuing your mathematical career at UBC.
- Prize-winning faculty at the top of their specialist fields.
- A strong cohort of engaged and active graduate students.
- An extensive selection of seminars and research lectures each week.
- Interdisciplinary contacts through the Institute of Applied Mathematics.
- Close ties to the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences and the Banff International Research Station for Mathematical Innovation and Discovery, and their high-level research and education activities.
Master's or Doctorate?
Admission to a doctoral program requires the applicant to hold a Master's degree in Mathematics or an equivalent qualification. Thus most recent Bachelor's graduates, including those who seek a doctorate, are admitted into a Master's program at first. A student who excels in the Master's program may be invited to transfer into the Ph.D. program without completing the Master's degree: the rules governing this possibility are set by the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
For the September 2022 intake:
The Official application deadline is December 31, 2022. All supporting documents (including reference letters) must be received by January 15, 2023.
We support the resolution of the Council of Graduate Schools. Thus our offers of admission remain valid until April 15, 2023. Students admitted must confirm their plan to attend on or before this date: those who do not risk losing their places to one of the many other qualified applicants whom we have not been able to invite earlier. We appreciate hearing from students as soon as possible after they have made a decision about their plans for the autumn.
For more information about Graduate Studies in the Department of Mathematics, contact the the Graduate Program Coordinator or the UBC Graduate School.