Math 421/510 - Functional Analysis - Spring 2018
Instructor: Malabika Pramanik
Office: 214 Mathematics Building
E-mail: malabika at math dot ubc dot ca
Lectures: Tuesday and Thursday 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM in Room 203 of Mathematics Building.
Office hours: Tuesday 10-11, Thursday 2-3 or by appointment.
Marker/TA : Tongou (Thomas) Yang
E-mail : toyang at math dot ubc dot ca
- Quiz 1 held at the end of class on Thursday, January 11. Solution
- Quiz 2 held at the end of class on Thursday, January 18.
- Quiz 3 to be held at the end of class on Thursday, January 25.
- Weeks 1 and 2
- Practice problems: Chapter 5, Section 5.1, Exercises 1-16 of the textbook. These are not to be turned in.
- Homework set 1: Exercises 6, 8, 9, 13. (due on Tuesday Jan 23 at the beginning of lecture)
Week-by-week course outline
This section contains a summary of the material covered in class, arranged by week. The textbook pages are mentioned as a reference and as a reading guide. The treatment of these topics in lecture may vary somewhat from that of the text. Please stay tuned for possible changes.
- Week 1:
- Linear spaces
- Examples of infinite dimensional linear spaces
- Week 2:
- Normed linear spaces
- Topology induced by a norm
- Finite-dimensional normed spaces
- Week 3:
- Separable spaces: examples and non-examples
- Non-compactness of the unit ball in infinite-dimensional normed spaces
- Hamel and Schauder bases