MATH 100:701 Differential Calculus (Vantage College)
- Solution 10 is online.
- The final examination is comprehensive. It is taking place on December 04, 08:30 - 11:00 in ESB 1013
- There will be an additional office hour on Monday, December 03, 10:00 -11:50 in MATX 1102
- More resources to prepare for the final: A wiki with past exams, maintained by graduate students.
- Homework 10 (the last one!) and Solution 9 are online.
- The solutions to the midterms have been made available here and here
- Homework 9 and Solution 8 are online
- Homework 8 and Solution 7 are online
- To enter the number π in WebWork, just type "pi", see here
- Homework 7 is online, and so are Solutions 5 and 6
- A summary of the elementary rules of differentiation
- Solution 4 is online.
- There is no assignment due on Friday, Oct 19. Assignment 5 is due Oct 26.
- Additional pre-midterm office hour on Friday, Oct 12 12:30 -13:30 in Math 228.
- Due to late posting of Homework 4, you will be marked only on Problem 1 this week. You are encouraged to try Problem 2.
- Homework 4 and Solution 3 are online.
- Here is a summary of the various tests for the convergence of series that we have seen.
- The WeBWorK assignement is available through Canvas. The other entries you may see in Canvas are just empty placeholders.
- Homework 3 and Solution 2 available.
- Homework 2 is available, see below. Solution 1 is password protected.
- Homework 1 is available, see below.
- Welcome to the new term!
||November 30, 2018
||November 23, 2018
||November 16, 2018
||November 9, 2018
||November 2, 2018
||October 26, 2018
||October 12, 2018
||October 05, 2018
||September 28, 2018
||September 21, 2018
Weekly lecture summaries
||A few words on optimisation. Concluding remarks. Review of material.
||More on local extrema. Convex and concave functions. Inflection points. Curve sketching. L'Hospital rule.
||Local and global minima and maxima. Critical points. Increasing and decreasing functions.
||The exponential function, the logarithm and trigonometric functions. Their derivatives.
||The chain rule. Motivation and examples. Implicit differentiation. Related rates.
||Differentiability. Motivation and definition. First examples. Rules: linearity, the product and quotient rules.
||Midterm I. Review, exam and discussion.
||Continuity. Definition. The Intermediate Value Theorem and existence of solutions.
||More on series. The ratio test. The alternating series test. Absolute and conditional convergence.
||Series. Definition and first examples. The geometric and harmonic series. The divergence test. The comparison tests.
||Limits at infinity. Sequences. Definition and convergence. Examples. The bounded monotone convergence theorem.
||Limits of functions. Definition and elementary examples. Infinite limits, non-existence of limits. Left and right limits.
||Introduction. Review of notations, sets, number sets, and functions.