Department of Chemical and Biological
Department of Mathematics
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
Ph.D. University of Minnesota,
Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics.
Dissertation: Numerical and experimental studies of the motion of solid
particles in viscoelastic fluids.
Adviser: Professor Daniel
M. S. Peking University, Beijing, China, 1988
B. S. Peking University, Beijing, China, 1985
British Columbia, Professor, 2008 -
British Columbia, Associate Professor, 2004 - 2008
Institute, City College of CUNY, Associate Professor, 1998 - 2003
California, Santa Barbara, Postdoc Researcher, 1995 - 1998
(Adviser: Professor L. Gary Leal)
Distinguished Scholar in Residence, Peter Wall Institute (2014 - 2015)
Fellow, American Physical Society (2013)
Visiting Fellow, Newton Institute, Cambridge University (June - August 2013)
UBC Killam Faculty Research Fellowship (2010 - 2011)
NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement (2009 - 2012)
CFI Leaders Opportunity Fund Award (2008)
Canada Research Chair - II (2004 - 2014)
NSF Career Award (2000 - 2004)
3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award (1999 - 2001)
Dissertation Fellowship, University of Minnesota (1994 - 1995)
Graduate Fellowship for Outstanding Performance, Peking University
(1985 - 1988)
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- PIMS and PWIAS workshop:"Mathematics at the Frontier of Developmental Biology", Vancouver, July 2 - 4, 2014.
- Institute for Advanced Study (HKUST) Program on Frontiers of Soft Matter Physics: from Non-equilibrium Dynamics to Active Matter, Hong Kong, January 13-17, 2014. Session chair.
- 2014 International Conference on Modeling of Complex Biological Systems, Chern Institute of Mathematics, Tianjin, China, May 26-29, 2014. Session chair.
- Banff International Research Station (BIRS) workshop:"Tissue Growth and Morphogenesis: from Genetics to Mechanics and Back" July 21 - 27, 2012.
- APS/DFD Annual Meeting, Long Beach, CA, November 2010. Chair for Session on Drops.
- Fifth Pacific Rim Conference on Rheology (PRCR5), Sapporo, Japan, August 2010. Chair for Session D-7: Suspensions, Emulsions, Foams.
- APS/DFD Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, November 2009. Chair for Session on Non-Newtonian Flows.
- APS/DFD Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, November 2008. Chair for Session on Non-Newtonian Flows.
- XVth International Congress on Rheology, Monterey, CA, August 2008. Session Chair on Computational and Multiscale Modeling.
- Pan-American Advanced Studies Institute (PASI) on Interfacial Fluid Dynamics, Mar del Plata, Argentina, August 2007. Session Chair.
- APS/DFD Annual Meeting, Tampa, FL, November 2006. Chair for Session on Drops and Bubbles.
- Society of Rheology Annual Meeting, Portland, ME, October 2006. Program Committee member and co-chair for Symposium on Solution Rheology.
- Banff International Research Station (BIRS) workshop: "Interfacial Dynamics in Complex Fluids" May 27 - June 01, 2006.
- AIChE Annual Meeting, San Francisco, November 2003. Co-chair for Session on Flow of Liquid-Crystalline Materials.
- AIChE Annual Meeting, San Francisco, November 2003. Meeting Program Chair for the program on Fundamental Research in Fluid Mechanics.
- AIChE Annual Meeting, Reno, November 2001. Co-chair for Session on Fundamental Research in Fluid Mechanics: Non-Newtonian Flows.
- Society of Rheology Annual Meeting, Bethesda, October 2001. Program Committee member and co-chair for Symposium on Molecular Level Modeling and Theory.
- AIChE Annual Meeting, Dallas, November 1999. Co-chair for Poster Session on Fundamental Research in Fluid Mechanics.
- Society of Rheology Annual Meeting, Madison, October 1999. Program Committee member and co-chair for Symposium on Liquid Crystals and Liquid-Crystalline Polymers.
- Workshop on Multiphase and Multicomponent Fluid Dynamics, Philadelphia, March 12-13, 1999. Organizing Committee member and moderator.
- Journal of Fluid Mechanics
- Physics of Fluids
- International Journal of Multiphase Flow
- Fluid Dynamics Research
- Microfluidics and Nanofluidics
- Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience
- Journal of Fluids Engineering (ASME)
- Journal of Applied Mechanics (ASME)
- Journal of Heat Transfer (ASME)
- Biophysical Journal
- Annals of Biomedical Engineering
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of the Royal Society Interface
- Acta Mechanica Sinica
- Mechanics Research Communications
- SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics
- SIAM Journal on Multiscale Modeling and Simulation
- Communications in Mathematical Sciences
- Journal of Engineering Mathematics
- Discrete and Continuous Dynamic Systems – Series B
- AMS Contemporary Mathematics Series
- Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics
- Journal of Rheology
- Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics
- Rheologica Acta
- Computational and Theoretical Fluid Dynamics
- Computers and Fluids
- International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids
- Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering
- Computer Modeling in Engineering and Science
- Engineering Computations
- International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation
- Journal of Computational Physics
- Physica D
- Physical Review Letters
- Physical Review E
- Canadian Journal of Physics
- Journal of Statistical Physics
- Journal of Aerosol Science
- Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology
- Atomization and Sprays
- AIChE Journal
- Journal of Colloids and Interface Science
- Colloids and Surfaces A
- Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering Science
- Chemical Engineering Communications
- Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering
- Journal of Composite Materials
- Polymer Engineering and Science
- Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics
- Journal of Chemical Physics
- American Chemical Society Symposium Series
- ANTEC (Society of Plastics Engineers)
- World Scientific Press (book series "Advances in Computational Fluid Dynamics")
- NSF, NASA, ACS - Petroleum Research Fund, Canadian Space
Agency, NSERC, Fonds de recherche sur la nature et les technologies
(Quebec), Technology Foundation STW/NWO (the Netherlands)