The Math Reading Group meets frequently to discuss Math Education research papers.
Here is the list of papers that have been discussed so far. All papers are available through UBC Library.
- The Advantage of Abstract Examples in Learning Math. Kaminski, J., Sloutsky, V., and Heckler, A. Science, 320:454-455. (2008).
- Iterating Between Lessons on Concepts and Procedures can Improve Mathematics Knowledge. Rittle-Johnson, B. and Koedinger, K. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 79:483-500. (2009).
- Reconceptualizing Procedural Knowledge. Star, J. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 36: 404-411. (2005).
- Formation of Mathematics Graduate Students' Mathematician-as-Teacher Identity. Beisiegel, M. and Simmt, E. For the Learning of Mathematics, 32: 34-39. (2012).
- Comprehension of Arithmetic Word Problems: A Comparison of Successful and Unsuccessful Problem Solvers. Hegarty, M., Mayer, R., and Monk, C. Jurnal of Educational Psychology, 87: 18-31. (1995).
- Role of Physics Lecture Demonstrations in Conceptual Learning. Miller, K., Lasry, N., Chiu, K., and Mazur, E. Physical Review Special Topics, 9:020113. (2013).
- Academic Motivation in Calculus Matthews, A., Hoessler, C., Jonker, L., and Stockley, D. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, 13:1-17. (2013)
- The History of the Undergraduate Program in Mathematics in the United States. Tucker, A. American Mathematical Monthly, 120:689-705. (2013).
- The Aims of Education. Whitehead, A. (1929).
- Lesson Plays: Planning Teaching versus Teaching Planning. Zazkis, R., Liljedahl, P., and Sinclair, N. For the Learning of Mathematics, 29:40-47. (2009).
- Twenty Terrible Reasons for Lecturing, Web Post: here .
(First published as: G.Gibbs, Twenty terrible reasons for lecturing, SCED Occasional Paper No. 8, Birmingham. 1981.)
- Where learning starts? A framework for thinking about lectures in university mathematics ,
Pritchard, D., International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, 41:609-629 (2010).
- An evaluative calculus project: Applying Bloom's taxonomy to the calculus classroom , Karaali, G.,
PRIMUS, 21:719-731 (2011).
- The Calculus Concept Inventory, Epstein, J., Notices of the AMS, 60:1018-1026 (2013).
- The teaching and learning of mathematics at the university level,
Artigue, M., Notices of the AMS, 46:1377-1385 (1999).
- Purposes and methods of research in mathematics education, Schoenfeld, A., Notices of the AMS, 47:641-649 (2000).
- Immediate and delayed effects of meta-cognitive
instruction on regulation of cognition
and mathematics achievement,
Metacognition and Learning, 3:147-157 (2008). Presentation slides.
- Expert and Novice Approaches to Reading Mathematical Proofs,
Inglis, M., & Alcock, L., Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 43(4) (2012). Presentation slides.
- Differences between experts' and students' conceptual images of the mathematical
structure of Taylor series convergence,
Educational Studies in Mathematics, doi:10.1007/s10649-012-9425-7 (2012).
- Calculus students. abilities to solve geometric related rate problems,
Martin T., Mathematics Education Research Journal, 12 (2), 74-91 (2000).
- Evaluating student response to WeBWorK, a web-based homework delivery
and grading system, Roth V., Ivanchenko V., Record N., Computers and Education, Vol. 50, No. 5 (2008).
- Examining the Interactions between Mathematical Content and Pedagogical Form: Notes on the Structure of the Lesson,
For the Learning of Mathematics, Vol. 24, No. 1 pp. 40-47, (Mar., 2004)
- Sustaining integrated technology in undergraduate mathematics,
International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, Vol. 42, No. 6, (2011)
- Approaches to data analysis of multiple-choice questions, Physical Review Special Topics - Physics Education Research 5, 020103 (2009)
- Undergraduate students' preference for procedural to conceptual solutions to mathematical problems,
International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, Vol. 40, No. 7, 2009
- A Calculus Graphing Schema, Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, Vol. 31, No. 5 (2000)
- Problem-solving, proving, and learning: The relationship between problem-solving processes and
learning opportunities in the activity of proof construction Journal of Mathematical Behavior 24, 351-360 (2005)
- Student Difficulty in Constructing Proofs: The Need for Strategic Knowledge, Educational Studies in Mathematics, Vol. 48, No. 1 (2001)
- Developing Study Skills in a First Year Mathematics Course, New Zealand Journal of Mathematics 32
(Supplementary Issue), 217-225 (2003).
- Factors influencing first-year students' success in mathematics, Int. J. Math. Edu. Sci. Technol. Vol. 31, No. 1, (2000)