Notes about the Final Exam
Where, when and what
- Tuesday, June 27 at 3:30pm in LSK 200
- It is always your responsibility to get to the exam at the right place at the right time. Go find LSK 200 before the day of the exam.
- The exam is closed book: No notes of any sort, no calculators, no phones, and just to be safe, no digital watches.
- Bring things to write with and your ID. *You must bring a valid student ID in order to write the exam.* Everything else goes in your closed bag under your seat.
- You are responsible for knowing and abiding by UBC's rules of student conduct during examinations.
- 150 minutes
- Total of 100 marks
- About 16 marks: multiple choice questions
- About 32 marks: short answer questions (partial marks available)
- Remaining marks: long answer questions (you must show your work)
- The December 2015 exam (available here) is a good guide
Topics and difficulty
- All topics covered in class may be on the exam.
- Not all questions of equal difficulty.
- It is strongly recommended that you skim all multiple choice questions before starting them - do easier problems first!
- It is strongly recommended that you skim all long answer questions before starting them - do easier problems first!
- Remember that you do not need to answer all questions to do well on an exam.
Pen vs Pencil
- In general we recommend using a dark pencil instead of pen.
- Please do not use a light grey pencil - it can be hard to read.
- If you do use pen, make sure you bring "white out tape" or some sort of correction fluid, or plan carefully in case you need to mark out some incorrect work.
- If you do use pen then make sure it is blue or black.
- There should be plenty of room on the paper for your work.
- The exam will be printed single-sided, and you can use the backs of pages for work and calculations. Write a note, draw an arrow, etc. to indicate that work continues on the back of a page.
Multiple choice questions
- For each multiple choice question, there will be exactly one correct choice.
- You will write the letter corresponding to your choice in a box at the top of the page. Circled choices may not be graded.
- Writing two choices for the same question will result in a mark of 0 for that question.
Short answer questions
- For each short answer question, there will be a box in which you will write your answer.
- A correct answer in the box earns full marks.
- If your answer in the box is missing or incorrect, your work will be graded for partial marks.
Long answer questions
- All answers must be justified and all work must be shown.
- If there is an answer box, write your answer there.
- All visible work will be graded, unless it is crossed out. Crossed-out work will not be graded.