Department of Chemical and Biological
Department of Mathematics
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
Ph.D. University of Minnesota,
Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics.
Dissertation: Numerical and experimental studies of the motion of solid
particles in viscoelastic fluids.
Adviser: Professor Daniel D. Joseph
M. S. Peking University, Beijing, China, 1988
B. S. Peking University, Beijing, China, 1985
British Columbia, Professor, 2008 -
British Columbia, Associate Professor, 2004 - 2008
Institute, City College of CUNY, Associate Professor, 1998 - 2003
California, Santa Barbara, Postdoc Researcher, 1995 - 1998
(Adviser: Professor L. Gary Leal)
CAIMS Research Prize, Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society (2017)
Tec 21 Visiting Scientist, Université Grenoble Alpes, France (2017)
Visiting Erskine Fellow, University of Canterbury, New Zealand (2017)
Distinguished Scholar in Residence, Peter Wall Institute (2014 - 2015)
Fellow, American Physical Society (2013)
Visiting Fellow, Newton Institute, Cambridge University (2013, 2015)
UBC Killam Faculty Research Fellowship (2010 - 2011)
NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement (2009 - 2012)
CFI Leaders Opportunity Fund Award (2008)
Canada Research Chair - II (2004 - 2014)
NSF Career Award (2000 - 2004)
3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award (1999 - 2001)
Dissertation Fellowship, University of Minnesota (1994 - 1995)
Graduate Fellowship for Outstanding Performance, Peking University
(1985 - 1988)
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- APS/DFD Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, November 23-26, 2019. Member of local organization committee.
- KITPC Program on Morphogenesis and cell mechanics: bridging the scales from molecular biology to tissue development, Beijing, China, August 15 - September 09, 2016. Co-organizer.
- ICTAM 2016, 24th International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Montreal, August 21 - 26, 2016. National Advisory Committee member.
- PIMS and PWIAS workshop:"Mathematics at the Frontier of Developmental Biology", Vancouver, July 2 - 4, 2014.
- Chern Institute of Mathematics Conference on International Conference on Modeling of Complex Biological Systems, Tianjin, China, May 26-29, 2014. Session chair.
- Institute for Advanced Study (HKUST) Program on Frontiers of Soft Matter Physics: from Non-equilibrium Dynamics to Active Matter, Hong Kong, January 13-17, 2014. Session chair.
- APS/DFD Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, November 23-25, 2013. Session chair.
- Annual Meeting of The Society of Rheology, Montréal, QC, Canada, October 13-17, 2013. Co-organizer.
- Isaac Newton Institute Program on Mathematical Modelling and Analysis of Complex Fluids and Active Media in Evolving Domains, Cambridge, UK, May 1 - August 23, 2013. Session chair.
- Banff International Research Station (BIRS) workshop:"Tissue Growth and Morphogenesis: from Genetics to Mechanics and Back" July 21 - 27, 2012.
- APS/DFD Annual Meeting, Long Beach, CA, November 2010. Chair for Session on Drops.
- Fifth Pacific Rim Conference on Rheology (PRCR5), Sapporo, Japan, August 2010. Chair for Session D-7: Suspensions, Emulsions, Foams.
- APS/DFD Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, November 2009. Chair for Session on Non-Newtonian Flows.
- APS/DFD Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, November 2008. Chair for Session on Non-Newtonian Flows.
- XVth International Congress on Rheology, Monterey, CA, August 2008. Session Chair on Computational and Multiscale Modeling.
- Pan-American Advanced Studies Institute (PASI) on Interfacial Fluid Dynamics, Mar del Plata, Argentina, August 2007. Session Chair.
- APS/DFD Annual Meeting, Tampa, FL, November 2006. Chair for Session on Drops and Bubbles.
- Society of Rheology Annual Meeting, Portland, ME, October 2006. Program Committee member and co-chair for Symposium on Solution Rheology.
- Banff International Research Station (BIRS) workshop: "Interfacial Dynamics in Complex Fluids" May 27 - June 01, 2006.
- AIChE Annual Meeting, San Francisco, November 2003. Co-chair for Session on Flow of Liquid-Crystalline Materials.
- AIChE Annual Meeting, San Francisco, November 2003. Meeting Program Chair for the program on Fundamental Research in Fluid Mechanics.
- AIChE Annual Meeting, Reno, November 2001. Co-chair for Session on Fundamental Research in Fluid Mechanics: Non-Newtonian Flows.
- Society of Rheology Annual Meeting, Bethesda, October 2001. Program Committee member and co-chair for Symposium on Molecular Level Modeling and Theory.
- AIChE Annual Meeting, Dallas, November 1999. Co-chair for Poster Session on Fundamental Research in Fluid Mechanics.
- Society of Rheology Annual Meeting, Madison, October 1999. Program Committee member and co-chair for Symposium on Liquid Crystals and Liquid-Crystalline Polymers.
- Workshop on Multiphase and Multicomponent Fluid Dynamics, Philadelphia, March 12-13, 1999. Organizing Committee member and moderator.
- Journal of Fluid Mechanics
- Physics of Fluids
- International Journal of Multiphase Flow
- Fluid Dynamics Research
- Microfluidics and Nanofluidics
- Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience
- Journal of Fluids Engineering (ASME)
- Journal of Applied Mechanics (ASME)
- Journal of Heat Transfer (ASME)
- Biophysical Journal
- Annals of Biomedical Engineering
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of the Royal Society Interface
- Acta Mechanica Sinica
- Mechanics Research Communications
- SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics
- SIAM Journal on Multiscale Modeling and Simulation
- Communications in Mathematical Sciences
- Journal of Engineering Mathematics
- Discrete and Continuous Dynamic Systems – Series B
- AMS Contemporary Mathematics Series
- Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics
- Journal of Rheology
- Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics
- Rheologica Acta
- Computational and Theoretical Fluid Dynamics
- Computers and Fluids
- International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids
- Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering
- Computer Modeling in Engineering and Science
- Engineering Computations
- International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation
- Journal of Computational Physics
- Physica D
- Physical Review Letters
- Physical Review E
- Canadian Journal of Physics
- Journal of Statistical Physics
- Journal of Aerosol Science
- Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology
- Atomization and Sprays
- AIChE Journal
- Journal of Colloids and Interface Science
- Colloids and Surfaces A
- Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering Science
- Chemical Engineering Communications
- Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering
- Journal of Composite Materials
- Polymer Engineering and Science
- Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics
- Journal of Chemical Physics
- American Chemical Society Symposium Series
- ANTEC (Society of Plastics Engineers)
- World Scientific Press (book series "Advances in Computational Fluid Dynamics")
- NSF, NIH, NASA, ACS - Petroleum Research Fund, Canadian Space
Agency, NSERC, Fonds de recherche sur la nature et les technologies
(Quebec), Technology Foundation STW/NWO (the Netherlands)