Department of Mathematics
1984 Mathematics Rd
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, V6T1Z2
I'm a Ph.D. candidate at the Institute of Applied Mathematics at the University of British Columbia. Please read my CV
, Research Statement
, and Teaching Statement
to learn more.
Stochastic Differential Equations, Time series analysis, Stochastic averaging.
- "Parametric estimation of the stochastic dynamics of sea surface winds", W. F. Thompson, A. Monahan, D. Crommelin (To appear in AMS Jour. Atmos. Sci.)
- "Stochastic phase dynamics of noise driven synchronization of two conditional coherent oscillators", W. F. Thompson, R. Kuske, Y.-X. Li, DCDS-A, 32(8), 2971-2995, Aug. 2012 (link)
- Master's Thesis (link)
- "Long-range coupling and scalable architecture for superconducting flux qubits", A. G. Fowler, W. F. Thompson, Z. Yan, A. M. Stephens, B. L. T. Plourde, F. K. Wilhelm, Can. Jour. of Phys., 86(4), 533-540, 2008 (link)
Submitted + Work-in-Progress
- "Stochastic averaging of systems with multiple time scales forced with alpha stable noise", W. F. Thompson, R. Kuske, A. Monahan (Expected submission: Apr 2014)
- MATH104: Differential Calculus for Social Sciences and Commerce, Winter Term 1, 2013
- MATH104: Differential Calculus for Social Sciences and Commerce, Winter Term 1, 2011
I am a contributor to (and maintainer of) the UBC Math Exam/Educational Resources wiki
which offers solutions to previous math exams (primarily first and second year courses). This project has been incredibly rewarding for me, not to mention loads of fun!