Department of Mathematics
1984 Mathematics Rd
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, V6T1Z2
I'm a Ph.D. candidate at the Institute of Applied Mathematics at the University of British Columbia. Please read my CV
, Research Statement
, and Teaching Statement
to learn more. In addition to my standard duties as a graduate student, I am a contributor to (and maintainer of) the UBC Math Educational Resources wiki
which offers solutions to past math exams in addition to instructional content. This project has been incredibly rewarding for me, not to mention loads of fun!
Stochastic Differential Equations, Stochastic averaging, Time series analysis.
- W. F. Thompson, A. Monahan, and D. Crommelin. Parametric estimation of the stochastic dynamics of sea surface winds. AMS Jour. Atmos. Sci. (in press).
- W. F. Thompson, R. Kuske, and Y.-X. Li. Stochastic phase dynamics of noise driven synchronization of two conditional coherent oscillators. DCDS-A, 32(8), 2971-2995, Aug. 2012.
- W. F. Thompson. Master's Thesis.
- A. G. Fowler, W. F. Thompson, Z. Yan, A. M. Stephens, B. L. T. Plourde, and F. K. Wilhelm. Long-range coupling and scalable architecture for superconducting flux qubits. Can. Jour. of Phys., 86(4), 533-540, 2008.
work in progress
- W. F. Thompson, R. Kuske, and A. Monahan. Stochastic averaging of systems with multiple time scales forced with alpha stable noise. (Expected submission: Jul 2014)
- MATH104: Differential Calculus for Social Sciences and Commerce, Winter Term 1, 2013
- MATH104: Differential Calculus for Social Sciences and Commerce, Winter Term 1, 2011