Department of Mathematics
1984 Mathematics Rd
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z2
I'm a Ph.D. candidate at the Institute of Applied Mathematics at the University of British Columbia. Please read my CV
, Research Statement
, and Teaching Statement
to learn more.
I am a contributor to the UBC Math Educational Resources wiki
which offers solutions to past math exams as well as instructional content. This project has been incredibly rewarding for me, not to mention loads of fun!
Stochastic Differential Equations, Stochastic averaging, Time series analysis.
publications + preprints
- W. F. Thompson, R. Kuske, and A. Monahan. Stochastic averaging of systems with multiple time scales forced with α-stable noise. (Preprint, Submitted to SIAM Multi. Model. Simul.)
- W. F. Thompson, A. Monahan, and D. Crommelin. Parametric estimation of the stochastic dynamics of sea surface winds. AMS Jour. Atmos. Sci., 71(9), 3465-3483, Sep. 2014.
- W. F. Thompson, R. Kuske, and Y.-X. Li. Stochastic phase dynamics of noise driven synchronization of two conditional coherent oscillators. DCDS-A, 32(8), 2971-2995, Aug. 2012.
- A. G. Fowler, W. F. Thompson, Z. Yan, A. M. Stephens, B. L. T. Plourde, and F. K. Wilhelm. Long-range coupling and scalable architecture for superconducting flux qubits. Can. Jour. of Phys., 86(4), 533-540, 2008.
- MATH104: Differential Calculus for Social Sciences and Commerce, Winter Term 1, 2013
- MATH104: Differential Calculus for Social Sciences and Commerce, Winter Term 1, 2011