CHBE230: Computational methods
Intructor in charge
Offices: CHBE423 and MATH236
Office hours: By appointment only
FINAL EXAM: April 10th 2017, 3:30pm in CHBE314/CHBE316/CHBE318, duration: 2h30min.
Vasilii Triandafilidi, CHBE507, email@example.com
Pouyan Jahangari, PPC210, firstname.lastname@example.org
TA office hours:
Agenda of office hours between Vasilii and Pouyan from January 19th:
- Vasilii, on Fridays 12pm-1pm, CHBE507, every 2 weeks
- Pouyan, on Thursdays 10am-11am, PPC210, every 2 weeks
- Thursday January 19th, Exceptionally 9am-11am: Pouyan, PPC210
- Friday January 27th, 12pm-1pm: Vasilii, CHBE507
- Thursday February 2nd, 10am-11am: Pouyan, PPC210
- Friday February 10th, 12pm-1pm: Vasilii, CHBE507
- Thursday February 16th, 10am-11am: Pouyan, PPC210
- Friday March 3rd, 12pm-1pm: Vasilii, CHBE507
- Thursday March 9th, 10am-11am: Pouyan, PPC210
- Friday March 17th, 12pm-1pm: Vasilii, CHBE507
- Thursday March 23rd, 10am-11am: Pouyan, PPC210
- Friday March 31rd, 12pm-1pm: Vasilii, CHBE507
- Thursday April 6th, 10am-11am: Pouyan, PPC210
Lectures: Tue/Thu, 3:30pm-5pm, Location: MCLD-228
Tutorials: biweekly on Wed 2 - 4 pm (Jan 18th, Feb 1st, Feb 15th, March 1st, March 15th, March 29th), Location: CHBE-314 + CHBE-318
- Tutorial 1, January 18th: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Solving new problems (1 hour)
- Tutorial 2, February 1st: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Quizz 1 (1 hour)
- Tutorial 3, February 15th: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Solving new problems (1 hour)
- Tutorial 4, March 1st: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Quizz 2 (1 hour)
- Tutorial 5, March 15th: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Solving new problems (1 hour)
- Tutorial 6, March 29th: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Quizz 3 (1 hour)
Textbook: S. E. Chapra: Applied Numerical Methods With MATLAB for Scientists and Engineers.(3rd edn.) ISBN-10: 0073401102; ISBN-13: 978-0073401102, McGraw-Hill (2011).
UBC Bookstore has new and used books for purchase or rental. Besides, an online version of the textbook is also available.
MATLAB: will be required for our course. The software package is available on all CHBE machines in the computer labs (CHBE 314). Besides, you can install the Parallels Client software on your own laptop computer according to the instructions posted on our CHBE 230 home page on Connect. A much easier way is to simply install Matlab on your laptop. Matlab can be downloaded for free through UBC at the following weblink: http://students.engineering.ubc.ca/success/software/#matlab (this weblink is also posted on our CHBE 230 home page on Connect).
Learn Matlab with videos by your TA Pouyan Jahangiri:
Outline of the course
Final Grade = final exam (50%) + midterm (20%) + tutorial & quizzes (18%) + homework (12%)
- Midterm: scheduled for Feb 16th 2017, 3:30-4:45 pm in CHBE 314 + 318.
- Final: date and time to be announced, to be written in Computer Rooms.
- Missing a quiz or the midterm results in a score of 0, except with prior consent of the instructor or with a doctor's note. In these latter cases, you will receive no score from the missed quiz or midterm, and its weight will be shifted to the other quizzes or the final exam. If you have a legitimate reason for missing the midterm, for example, your final exam will count for 70% of the grade.
- Weekly assignments will be posted on the Connect course website every Tuesday after the class and will be due one week after (next Tuesday). We will use paper submission for homeworks. Homeworks can be submitted either in a CHBE dept box and at the end of class on Tuesday. Due dates are available on the Connect course website. Late homework will receive no point.