CHBE230: Computational methods
Intructor in charge
Offices: CHBE423 and MATH236
Office hours: By appointment only
MID TERM EXAM: February 15th 2018, 3:30pm in CHBE314/CHBE316/CHBE318, duration: 1h15min.
Arman Seyed-Ahmadi, CHBE437, firstname.lastname@example.org
Masoud Daneshi, PPC309, email@example.com
TA office hours:
- Arman, on Friday 12:00pm-1:00pm, CHBE437, every week
- Masoud, on Thursday 9:00am-10:00am, PPC309, every week
Lectures: Tue/Thu, 3:30pm-5pm, Location: CHBE-101
Tutorials: every week for 3 weeks and then biweekly, on Wed 2 - 4 pm (Jan 3rd, Jan 10th, Jan 17th, Jan 31st, Feb 14th, Feb 28th, March 14th, March 28th), Location: CHBE-101 or CHBE-314 + CHBE-318 (see below)
- Tutorial 0a: January 3rd: Matlab crash course, introduction to Matlab programming Part I, CHBE-314 + CHBE-318
- Tutorial 0b: January 10th: Matlab crash course, introduction to Matlab programming Part II, CHBE-314 + CHBE-318
- Tutorial 1, January 17th: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Solving new problems (1 hour), CHBE-101
- Tutorial 2, January 31st: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Quizz 1 (1 hour), CHBE-101
- Tutorial 3, February 14th: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Solving new problems (1 hour), CHBE-101
- Tutorial 4, February 28th: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Quizz 2 (1 hour), CHBE-101
- Tutorial 5, March 14th: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Solving new problems (1 hour), CHBE-101
- Tutorial 6, March 28th: Review of assignments (1 hour) + Quizz 3 (1 hour), CHBE-101
Textbook: S. E. Chapra: Applied Numerical Methods With MATLAB for Scientists and Engineers.(3rd edn.) ISBN-10: 0073401102; ISBN-13: 978-0073401102, McGraw-Hill (2011).
UBC Bookstore has new and used books for purchase or rental. Besides, an online version of the textbook is also available.
MATLAB: will be required for our course. The software package is available on all CHBE machines in the computer labs (CHBE 314). Besides, you can install the Parallels Client software on your own laptop computer according to the instructions posted on our CHBE 230 home page on Connect. A much easier way is to simply install Matlab on your laptop. Matlab can be downloaded for free through UBC at the following weblink: http://students.engineering.ubc.ca/success/software/#matlab (this weblink is also posted on our CHBE 230 home page on Connect).
Learn Matlab with videos (by our 2017 TA Pouyan Jahangiri):
Outline of the course
Final Grade = final exam (50%) + midterm (20%) + quizzes (24%) + homework (6%)
- Midterm: scheduled for Feb 15th 2018, 3:30-4:45 pm in CHBE 314 + 318.
- Final: date and time to be announced, to be written in Computer Rooms.
- Missing a quiz or the midterm results in a score of 0, except with prior consent of the instructor or with a doctor's note. In these latter cases, you will receive no score from the missed quiz or midterm, and its weight will be shifted to the other quizzes or the final exam. If you have a legitimate reason for missing the midterm, for example, your final exam will count for 70% of the grade.
- Weekly assignments will be posted on the Connect course website every Tuesday after the class and will be due one week after (next Tuesday). We will use paper submission for homeworks. Homeworks can be submitted either in a CHBE dept box and at the end of class on Tuesday. Due dates are available on the Connect course website. Late homeworks will receive no point. Homeworks are mandatory to hand to get corresponding points but are not marked.