Math 105/211 - Integral Calulus with applications to commerence and social sciences
|Lectures:||Mon Wed Fri 4:00pm - 4:50pm
|Instructor:|| Saifuddin Syed
|Office hours:|| Monday, Wednesdays after class, or by appointment
The above page includes more information about the course, exams, course objectives, course outline, and includes practice problems. You are expected to keep up with the announcements on both pages.
PiazzaPiazza is a discussion board that everyone in the class is expected to join. It is a good place to ask/answer questions that you or your classmates have regarding the course/assignments, and for me to give announcements. To join search "Math 105 Section 211" and follow the instructions. I will be monitoring it often, so please be respectful to your classmates. I would reccomend primarily posting questions here and reserve my email for more personal questions. This way we can avoid repeat questions. If you don't have a .ubc.ca account then email me with the email you want to use.
EvaluationYour grade will be determined by assignments (6%), weekly webwork (10%), two midterms (17% each) and a final exam (50%). The Webwork and exam information can be found on the course webpage.
Midterm 1Midterm 1 is on Thursday, January 29 at IBLC 261 from 6:30-7:30
- Midterm 1 [F14] Solutions
- Midterm 1 Sample 1 Solutions
- Midterm 1 Sample 2 Solutions
- Midterm 1 Sample 3 Solutions
- Midterm 1 Sample 4 Solutions
- Midterm 1 Sample 5 Solutions
Midterm 2Midterm 2 is on Wednesday, March 18 at GEO 200 from 6:30-7:30. I have posted some addition sample midterms, but note that the model for your midterm 2 is the one of the common page. I take no responsibility if the samples below are a different difficulty than the one next week.
- Midterm 2 [F14] Solutions
- Midterm 2 Sample 1 Solutions
- Midterm 2 Sample 2 Solutions
- Midterm 2 Sample 3 Solutions
- Midterm 2 Sample 4 Solutions
- Midterm 2 Sample 5 Solutions
- (Mar 19) Lecture note on probability and assignment 5 posted.
- (Mar 17) Assignment 4 solutions posted.
- (Mar 10) Lecture notes updated.
- (Mar 09) Question 4b) on the assignment has been updated. It is asking you guys to finish the example I ended today's class with. I have uploaded some sample midterms from last term. Again I do not take responsibility if they are not the same difficulty as your midterm 2.
- (Mar 03) Solutions to assignment 3 and notes from monday's class are online. We will have a review session tomorrow at 5:15pm in LSK 201.
- (Mar 01) I have updated the notes and uploaded assignment 4. I will post solutions to assignment 3 before class on monday, and we will have a problem solving session on Wednesday.
- (Feb 17) I have updated the lecture notes thus far. I have also made a midterm evaluation survey. Please take 10 minutes to fill this out, it your oppotunity to tell me in an anonymous way, what you like and don't about this course and also have to time for me to do something about it.
You can access the survey Here
- (Feb 09) Notes on integration and techniques of integration thus far have been uploaded.
- (Feb 04) I have posted assignment 3. Due in class the Wednesday after reading week. This is a long and tough one, don't leave it until the day before!
- (Jan 25) I posted last terms midterm, and a few sample midterms with solutions. I have also updated the lecture notes. Let me know if there are any questions and see you on monday :).
- (Jan 18) Assignment 2, Assignment 1 solutions and lecture notes up.
- (Jan 12) For webwork use the i,j,k notation.
- (Jan 10) I forgot to mention today in class that a contour and level set are the same thing. I will also go over trace in the beginnning of mondays class, but if you want to do those webwork problems today before then you can just read ahead in the notes. Btw the notes should be up. Also email me if you are still having trouble accessin the assignment, and I will e-mail you a copy. Until I have a class e-mail list, and everyone that plans on being in this section is enrolled/joins piazza, I make announcements here. I am still going to be answering questions related to the assignment/course material though piazza. Have a good weekend guys, and see you on Monday. Try not to work too hard ;).
Lecture NotesHere are the lecture notes that I have been making for the course as I go along. I will be updating the notes as I go along, they will usually be posted a few days after the lecture. Let me know if I made any mistakes. This is actually the neatest my writing will ever be, so please be kind.
- Chapter 1: Geometry, vectors, planes (Updated 01/18 with page on notation)
- Chapter 2: Functions of several variables (Updated 01/18)
- Chapter 3: Optimization(Updated 01/25)
- Chapter 4: Integration(Updated 02/09)
- Chapter 5: Techniques of Iintegration I (substitution, integration by parts, odd/even)(Updated 02/17)
- Chapter 6: Techniques of integration II (trig integrals, partial fractions, trigonometric substitution)(Updated 03/01)
- Chapter 7: MORE integration (improper integrals, integral approximations)(Updated 03/10)
- Chapter 8: Seperable differential equations(Updated 03/10)
- Chapter 9: Probability(Updated 03/19)