Mathematics 184, Section 102 - Fall 2011
This webpage will be frequently updated. Please check this website regularly!
**Please fill out the instructor evaluations that were emailed to you recently.
"Differential Calculus for Social Science and Commerce"
- This business problem handout is from class on Sept 12 With Answers
- This IVT handout is from class on Sept 21
- Here is the solution to the `Circle Problem' from Webwork 1
- This is the solution to the exercise from class on Sept 30
- This is the solution to the exercise from class on Oct 7
- This is the solution to the exercise from class on Oct 17
- Here is the handout from class on Oct 31
- Here is the example from class on Nov 7
Course Website: This link is the common website for
all Math 104 and Math 184 sections.
It contains the course outline, suggested homework problems, course policies, other course information, and
information on available resources. Please read through it and check regularly for updates!
- Instructor: Shane Cernele.
- Email: scernele (at) math (dot) ubc (dot) ca
- Class time: Mon/Wed/Fri: 16:00 - 17:00.
- Location: MATH 100.
- Office Hours:
- Monday 2-3, Wed 5-6. Room: LSK 100C
- Final Exam Office Hours : Dec 13: 3pm-4pm, Dec 14: 2pm-3pm, Dec 15: 2pm-3pm. Room: LSK 100C/D
- Additional office hours available by appointment, just email me and we can set up a time.
- Workshop Times: More information about workshops can be found here.
- W1J: Thurs 3:30 - 5:00. Room: MATH 103
- W1K: Wed 11:00 - 12:30. Room: LSK 462
- W1L: Tues 12:30 - 2:00. Room: LSK 462
- Midterm Dates :
- Midterm 1: Friday, October 14, in class
- Midterm 2: Wednesday, November 9, in class.
- My MathLab Course ID: cernele37227
- You can use this website, the above course ID, and
the access code that came with the textbook to access online materials, including extra problems
and the textbook in electronic form.
- Final Exam: 50%.
- Date and Time to be announced sometime in the middle of the term
- There will be no calculators or other electronic devices permitted during the final exam.
- Two Midterms: 20%.
- Workshops: 10%.
- More information can be found here.
- WebWork Assignments: 10%.
- Log in here or here.
- For technical problems or math questions related to webwork, please try to use the "email instructor" feature in webwork. This sends
an email to a TA who is familiar with webwork.
- Webworks are due every Wednesday at 8am.
- Hand-in Assignments: 10%.
- Assignments will be posted on this website. They will be due Fridays in class.
- Assignment 1: Due September 16 in class. Solutions
- Assignment 2: Due September 23 in class. Solutions
- Assignment 3: Due September 30 in class. Solutions
- Assignment 4: Due October 7 in class. Solutions
- Assignment 5: Due October 21 in class. Solutions (Solutions Corrected Oct 24)
- Assignment 6: Due October 28 in class. Solutions
- Assignment 7: Due November 4 in class. Solutions
- Assignment 8: Due November 25 in class. Solutions
- Additional Notes about Grading:
- Please note that grades may be scaled, for example to ensure fairness across sections.
- You can visit
this website to view historical grade distributions.
- Make sure you read the course policies on the common website.
- Tutorial Centre: The tutorial centre is open Monday to Thursday, 9-7 and Friday 9-4. You can drop in at these times to get help with course material, assignments, etc.
The location is