MATH 180, Section 103, Fall 2012
Differential Calculus with Physical Applications
Dec 4: I'll be in my office today from 2-4.
Please fill in the course evaluation!
- My review session is on Monday, Dec 3 from 1-4pm in room Math 100.
- Link to the EUS review session on Dec 2
UBC Math Wiki with exam solutions
- The past three final exams and solutions to the 2009 exam
- My Final Exam Practice Problems with answers
- Scans of my document camera lecture notes
- 8 math talks to blow your mind
Office hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays 1:30-3:20pm in Math 201, after class, and by appointment.
- Course Outline
- Course Objectives
- WeBWorK (on Connect)
- Suggested Homework
- Workshop Problems and Solutions
- Scans of my lecture notes
- Lecture Slides from Stewart: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, Week 5, Week 6, Week 7, Week 8: Course Notes, Week 9, Week 10, Week 11, Week 12
- Midterm 1: Syllabus, Midterm 1, Solutions to Midterm 1, Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3, Sample 1 Solutions, Sample 2 Solutions, Sample 3 Solutions
- Midterm 2: Syllabus, Midterm 2, Solutions to Midterm 2, Practice Problems, Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3, Sample 4, Sample 5, Sample 6, Sample 1 Solutions, Sample 3 Solutions, Sample 4 Solutions, Sample 5 Solutions, Sample 6 Solutions
- Quiz 1, Quiz 2, Quiz 3, Quiz 4, Quiz 5, Quiz 6, Quiz 7
- Worksheet 1, Worksheet 2, Worksheet 3, Worksheet 4
Drop-in tutoring: Stuck on a problem? Come to my office hours or seek help in the Math Learning Centre.
Workshops: There will be weekly workshops to help you learn the material. See the course outline for times and locations.
Homework and Quizzes: There will be WeBWorK assignments on Connect due every Thursday at 9pm. Additionally, you will be given a list of suggested homework problems from the textbook every week. They will not be collected. Instead, there will be a quiz at the end of each Tuesday class testing material from this list. At least 2/3 of the midterm and final exam problems will be similar to these suggested problems.
Midterms: There will be two midterms in this course. All sections of MATH 180 and MATH 100 will take the same midterm. If you have a valid conflict (e.g. an illness which has been documented by a physician, or a UBC timetable conflict), you will be allowed to write an alternate midterm at another time. In any other circumstance a score of 0 will be given. A review session will be held before each midterm.
Midterm Exam 1: Tuesday, Oct. 9, 6:30-7:30pm; covers Weeks 1–4 inclusive in the course outline; location TBA.
Midterm Exam 2: Monday, Nov. 5, 6:30–7:30pm; covers Week 5–9 inclusive in the course outline; location TBA.
The Final: All sections of MATH 180 and MATH 100 will take the same final exam. Past exams can be found here. A final review session will be scheduled closer to the end of the term.
Grading scheme: Final exam 50%, each midterm 16.25%, workshops 7.5%, WeBWorK 5%, quizzes 5%.
Calculators: No calculators or electronic communication devices are allowed at the quizzes, the midterms or final exam. Formula sheets are also not allowed.
Other useful links:
- Common website for all MATH 100 and 180 sections.
Test and improve your algebra skills! On your textbook's website you can find reviews of high-shool Algebra and Analytic Geometry.
- Take some pre-calculus tutorials!
- Undergraduate Advising and some FAQ's
- Drop/Withdrawal Deadlines for Winter 2012/13
- AMS tutoring