Math 226
Advanced Calculus I (Honours)

Announcements


Solution to problem 1 of Sample Midterm 2

Solutions to problems 2,3,4 of Sample Midterm 2

Sample Midterm 2

Information for Midterm 2

Lecture Notes (Nov. 6, 8 , 10 )

Lecture Notes (Oct. 30, Nov 1, 3)

Lecture Notes (Oct. 23,25,27)

Lecture Notes (Oct. 16,18,20)

Deinitions: Continuity, Jacobians, Dfferentiability, and Continuous Differentiability

Midterm 1 and solutions

Lecture Notes (Oct. 11)

Solutions to Sample Midterm 1

Information for Midterm 1

Sample Midterm 1

Lecture Notes (Oct. 2, 4, 6)

Lecture Notes (Sept. 25, 27, 29 )

Midterm 1: Friday, October 13. Midterm 2: Friday, November 17.

Lecture Notes (Sept. 18,20,22)

Lecture Notes (Sept. 11,13,15)

Lecture Notes (Sept. 6,8)

Questions regarding registration for this class should be addressed to the Mathematics Department in Room 121 of the Math Building

Weekly homework assignments will be posted below. First homework assignment is due on Friday, Sept. 15.

There will be two midterms (dates, TBA) and a final exam.

British Columbia law requires the use of a helmet while riding a bicycle.



Instructor Information

Instructor: Brian Marcus
Email : marcus[at]math[dot]ubc[dot]ca
Office: Math Building, Room 218
Office Hours:  W 1:30 - 3:00, Th 11:30 - 1:00 and by appointment
Phone: 822-3262

Course Information

Class time:  MWF 11:00 - 12:00
                          
Class location:  Buchanan 202A

Course web page:  http://www.math.ubc.ca/~marcus/Math226 will be updated throughout the term.

Text:  Adams and Essex: Calculus: Several Variables. Pearson, 9th Edition


Course Description :
This is an HONOURS course. The emphasis will be on ideas and computation, but students will also be expected to understand and write mathematical proofs at an elementary level.

Topics: Differential and Integral Calculus of functions of several variables: Vectors and Geometry, Partial Derivatives and Differentiability, Applications of Derivatives, Multiple Integrals.

Course material will mostly be taken from Chapters 10,12,13,14 of the text.

PRE-requisite:
One-variable calculus (68% in Math 121 or 80% in Science 1, Math 101, 103 or 105);
CO-requisite:
Linear algebra (Math 223, 221, 152)

Evaluation

The course mark will be based on weekly homework assignments (15%), two midterms (total of 35%), and a final exam (50%). This percentage distribution is approximate.


Homework

Homework assignments will be assigned weekly and due on Fridays. The first assignment is due on Friday, September 15. Assignments will be posted on this website below.


Homework Assignments


Homework #1, due Friday, September 15

Solutions to Homework #1 (problems from text), Adams, sec. 10.1-10.2

Solutions to Homework #1 (problems 3-6)

Homework #2, due Friday, September 22

Solutions to Homework #2 (problems from text), Adams, sec. 10.3-10.4

Solutions to Homework #2 (problem 3)

Solutions to Homework #2 (problem 4)

Homework #3, due Friday, September 29

Solutions to Homework #3 (problems from text), Adams, sec. 12.1-12.2

Solutions to Homework #3 (problems 4,5)

Homework #4, due Friday, October 6

Solutions to Homework #4 (problems from text), Adams, sec. 12.3-12.4

Solutions to Homework #4 (problems 3,4)

Adams, sec. 12.5

Homework #5, due Friday, October 20

Solutions to Homework #5 (problems 3,4)

Adams, sec. 12.6

Homework #6, due Friday, October 27

Adams, sec. 12.7

Solutions to problems 3 and 4, Homework #6

Homework #7, due Friday, November 3

Adams, sec. 12.8

Solutions to Homework 7

Homework #8, due Friday, November 10

Solutions to Homework 8

Adams, sec. 13.1-13.3