Math 440/508 - Complex Analysis - Fall 2016
Instructor: Malabika Pramanik
Office: 214 Mathematics Building
E-mail: malabika at math dot ubc dot ca
Lectures: Mon,Wed,Fri 11:00 AM to 12:00 noon in Room 105 of Mathematics Building.
Office hours: Wed 10-11AM, Fri 12-1PM or by appointment.
All the homework problems are from the textbook. Homework assignments will be collected at the beginning of class on the indicated day. Late homework assignments will not be accepted.
- Homework 1, due on Monday September 19
- Chapter 1 exercises: 4, 5, 7, 21, 22.
- Homework 2, due on Monday October 3
- Chapter 2 exercises: 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 1, 12, 13.
Week-by-week course outline
Here is a rough guideline of the course structure, arranged by week. The textbook pages are mentioned as a reference and as a reading guide. The treatment of these topics in lecture may vary somewhat from that of the text.
- Week 1: (pages 1-18)
- Definition of holomorphy
- Cauchy-Riemann equations
- Power series
- Week 2: (pages 21-36)
- Integration along curves
- Goursat's theorem
- Week 3: (pages 37-53)
- Cauchy's theorem on the disc
- Toy contours
- Cauchy integral formulae, and their applications