MATH 184, Sec. 105 (TTh 3:30 – 5 pm in MATH 100), Fall 2016
- Instructor: James J. Feng, Math Annex 1206; Email: james.feng(at)ubc(dot)ca; Telephone: (604) 822-4936.
- Office hours: By appointment only. Please email (preferred) or call.
Also note the Math Learning Center Drop-in help at LSK 301 and 302.
- Common MATH104/184 Webpage:
where you will find more general information about the course, the textbook, grading scheme and course policies. For our section, the "section-specific" 10% of your final grade will consist of in-class quizzes.
- Professor Feng's "Secret Strategy" for succeeding in MATH 184:
- Preview text before class, and mark points that are unclear to you. Materials to be covered are specified in the Learning Goals on our course website.
- During the lecture, focus on these unclear points and stop me to ask for clarification if needed. This way, you make the best use of the class time.
- After class, do WebWork assignments and additional practice problems
as soon as you find time. This consolidates your grasp of the material.
- Get help with remaining difficulties in the material or the problems: book an appointment with me, ask questions and look for answers on Piazza, and come to the Math Learning Center free tutoring.
- Section-specific Announcements:
Introduction to MATH 184
In-class quizzes will be on the following Tuesdays:
Sept 20, Oct 4, Oct 25, Nov 8, Nov 29. Each will cover material taught by (and including) the preceding Thursday.
Return of quizzes: I will email the class once the quizzes are ready. You should come to the Math Learning Center, any day of the week between 11 am and 6 pm, with your ID to claim your quiz. Our quizzes should be in a folder marked MATH 184, Section 105. While there, you can ask the TAs quetions about the quiz.
Additional Practice Problems: I've discussed this with Shawn, and he kindly supplied a collection of additional problems. The topics don't match our MATH184 perfectly, but from the section headings you should be able to locate useful practice problems. Enjoy!
Quiz 1 solution (one of the versions).
Quiz 2 solution (one of the versions).
Quiz 3 solution (one of the versions).
Quiz 4 solution (one of the versions).
Quiz 5 solution (one of the versions).
Office hours to help you with final review:
MATX 1206, 9:30-11 am, Friday 02 December 2016
CHBE 209, 10-11 am, Monday 05 December 2016
MATX 1101, 3-5 pm, Friday 09 December 2016
LSK 300C, 3-5 pm, Tuesday 13 December 2016