Math 104 Section 104, Fall 2015
Differential Calculus with Applications to Commerce and Social Sciences
- EXAM: Friday, December 18th, 12:00pm, in MATH 100.
- Review Session: Thursday, December 17th, 2:00 - 5:00pm in CHEM D300.
- Office Hours, all in LSK 300.
Monday, Dec 14, 12:00-2:00pm.
Wednesday, Dec 16, 3:30-5:30pm
- Email me if you have questions or concerns or would like to meet but cannot attend the review or office hours! Good luck!
- November 13th. Midterms available for pickup in lectures, office hours. Make sure the grades were added properly, and that they're correct on connect. Regrade requests should be brought to me with a regrade request form.
Final quiz in class next Thursday, November 19th. It will cover sections 4.1 - 4.3 (increasing/ decreasing, maxima and minima, concavity and inflection points, 1st and 2nd derivative tests, curve sketching) and the material on asymptotes necessary for curve sketching, in sections 2.4, 2.5.
Work through WebWork problems and suggested textbook problems to study.
- (October 29th) MIDTERM: Thursday, November 5th, 6:40 - 7:55 pm, in IBLC 182 (Irving K. Barber Learning Centre). (More information on the common 104/184 page). It will cover everything up to the end of week 7, inclusive (all material up to and including maxima and minima). If you have questions feel free to email me or ask in office hours.
- October 7th. Quiz tomorrow! Try out the practice quizzes (here).
The quiz will cover up to limits, continuity, and derivatives (computation by rules and from limit definition, relationship to tangent lines, etc.) up to section 3.4. No trig derivatives.
- September 18th. First quiz in class on Thursday, September 24th, will cover the exponentials, inverses, logarithms,
business type problems like the one we covered, and limits. Please contact me if you cannot make the quiz.
- September 15th. This week: Logarithms (textbook section 1.3), business problem
(course notes), limits (2.1, 2.2, 2.3). Remember to complete the WebWork introduction
(by Wednesday) and diagnostic test (by Friday). The first actual assignment is posted, due Wednesday, September 23.
- September 10th: Welcome to Math 104! Please get acquainted with this
webpage as well as the common Math 104 page.
You should also get set up on Piazza and
WebWork and do the tutorial WebWork assignment.
If you are having trouble getting registered, first see if another student can help you. If it still won't work, you should email
the course coordinator Shawn Desaulniers, at:
shawn "at" math "dot" ubc "dot" ca
- Instructor: Thomas Hughes
- Email: hughes "at" math "dot" ubc "dot" ca
- Lectures: Tuesday / Thursday, 8:00 - 9:30 am, in LSK 200.
- Office Hours: Mondays and Thursdays, 12:30 - 2:00 pm, in LSK 300B.
- Math 104 Common Page. Most of the information here (and much more!) is explained in greater detail there.
- Textbook: Calculus: Early Transcendentals with student solutions manual, Volume 1. Fourth custom edition for UBC, by Briggs, Cochran and Gillett.
- 10% - Quizzes. There will be 4 in-class quizzes worth 2.5% each.
- 10% - WebWork. Weekly assignments due Wednesdays .
- 30% - Midterm. The midterm is at 6:00 - 7:30 pm, Thursday, November 5th.
- 50% - Final Exam. Date TBA, December 8th - 22nd inclusive.
- Weekly assignments will be posted on WebWork. Click here for information on signing up.
- Piazza is a forum to discuss the course and homework where instructors and other students curate the content. For information on how to sign up, look here.
- The Math Learning Centre is a space for you to work and study with support from graduate tutors. It is in LSK 301/302.
- Everything else.