Math 105 Section 212: 2013 W term 2
Integral Calculus with Applications to Commerce and Social Sciences
Instructor: Gourab Ray
- Some problems on integrals solved by
- me and
- Alex Tomberg
- Some more by me and Alex Tomberg
- All the notes on probability can be found here .
- Some problems on improper integrals by me and on differential equations by Alex Tomberg.
- Notes on the midterm review session (5:30 to 6:30) is here
- Notes on the midterm review session (6:30 to 7:30) by Alex Tomberg is here
- There will be several suggested problems given to you from time to time. One of them at random will come in the quiz. Dates will be announced beforehand.
- suggested problems for the 10 min quiz on friday 11/01/2013 at the end of class.
- Quiz1 solutions are here
- suggested problems part 1 for the 10 min quiz on friday, 25/01/2013.
- suggested problems part 2 for the 10 min quiz on friday, 25/01/2013.
- Solutions for suggested problems part 1
- Solutions for suggested problems part 2
- suggested problems for the 10 min quiz on friday,15/02/2013.
- Solutions to Quiz 3 suggested problems
- suggested problems for the 10 min quiz on friday, 7/03/2013.
Solutions to suggested problems .
The quizzes will be graded excluding your the quiz with your lowest mark. For example, if there are five quizzes, your worst quiz score will be eliminated and you will be graded out of the remaining four.
- Timing: MWF 8-9 AM
- Location:Buchanan A 103
- Office Hours LSK 303C . Tuesday: 5-6pm, Thursday 5-7pm.
- The common webpage of Math 105 is here
If you wish to know more about me, here is my webpage
- Office: Math 125
- Email id: gourab(at)math(dot)ubc(dot)ca
Unfortunately you cannot enter into my office for whatever reasons. You can talk to me after class or during office hours. Email is the best option in my view.
- A short lecture on traces and problem solving strategies is here
- A short crash course on conic sections is here
Disclaimer: This is not the full course notes. This is the stuff I show in doccam and laptop. For the full notes just ask one of your class mates or me. I can refer you the sections of the book I covered.
Pages from the classes will be saved here according to the following filename convention: classno_date_month. For example if it is the 3rd class on 7th Jan, it will be saved as class3_0701.
- Class3_0701 (Clairaut's Theorem, example from economics). The pictures are here.
- Class4_0901 (Second derivatives, partial derivatives). The pictures are here and here
- Class5_1101(Maximum minimum problems).
- Class6_1401(Maximum minimum problems).
- Class7_1601(Absolute maximum minimum)The pictures are here
- Class8_1801(Lagrange multipliers)
- Class9_2101(Boundary value problems)
- Class14_0102(Area problems)
- Class15_0402(Fundamental theorem of calculus)
- Class16_0602(Integration techniques: substitution rule)
- Class17_0802(Integration techniques: by parts)
- Class18_1302(Integration techniques: trigonometric functions)
- Class19_1502(Integration techniques: trig sub)
- READING BREAK!
- Class20_2502(Integration techniques: approximations)
- Class21_2702(Error bounds, improper integrals)
- Class22_0103(Differential equations)
- Class23_0403(Probability basics)
- Class24_0603(CDF and pdf)
- Class25_0803(Expectation and Variance)
- Class26_1103(Expectation and Variance, review of integrals)
- Class28_1503(Sequences. basics)
- Class28_1803(Sequences, continued)
- Class30_2003(Sequences and series, geometric series)
- Class31_2203(divergence test, integral test)
- Class32_2503(ratio test, comparison test, limit comparison test)
- Class33_2703(taylor polynomials, power series, radius of convergence)
- Class34_0304(Taylor series expansion, techniques)
- Class35_0504(Taylor series, techniques)
Your grade will be computed based on the following formula:
- Final Exam 50%
- 2 midterms 17% + 17% = 34%
- Course-common WebWorks assignemts 10%
- Quiz (biweekly) 6%
Please note that grades may be scaled to ensure fairness across sections.
Can be found in the common website here
- Week1learning goals.
- Week2learning goals.
- Week3learning goals.
- Week4learning goals.
- Week6learning goals.
- Week7learning goals.
- Week8learning goals.
- Week9learning goals.
Can be found here
Some cool images about surfaces in 3-D can be found here