Reading seminar on logic
(Math 448, Term II 2013/2014)
Wednesday 2:30-4pm, in MATX1102.
Please note: the room will change in February; there's also a proposal to change the time to 3-4:30pm.
My office: Math 217.
Main textbook: "Computabilty and logic" by G.S. Boolos, J.P. Burgess, R.C. Jeffrey.
Note: this was the plan in the beginning of the term;more was actually
done, but this page was not
- January 22: Speaker: Brian. First-order logic: syntax and semantics (Chapters 9-10).
- January 29: no meeting.
- February 5 and possibly 12: Speaker: Bradley. The undecidability of first-order logic: Turing machines, recursive formulas. This will require a "recursion" to Chapters 6,7.
- February 26, March 5: Models (Chapters 12, 13). Speaker: TBD.
- March 12: Proofs and completeness (Chapter 14).
- March 19 and 26: Chapters 15-17, including proof of Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem.
- April 2: Chapter 18, Provability. Speaker: Daniel.
- April 9: Modal logic (Chapter 27). Speaker: Emily.