Prerequisites: One of MATH 200, MATH 226, MATH 253.
MATH 221 is recommended.
Community Calculus, primarily chapters 13 and 16.
Calculus, primarily chapters 12 and 15.
James Stewart, Multivariable Calculus, seventh edition,
chapters 13 and 16. This has been the textbook for this course in the past.
Section Web Page
I will post all handouts, problem sets, final grades, etc. on the web
Parametrized curves, velocity, acceleration,
arc length, curvature, normal and binormal vectors, tangential and
normal components of acceleration.
- Vector Fields and Line Integrals
vector fields, conservative fields, line integrals.
- Surface integrals (§3):
surfaces, tangent planes, surface area,
surface integrals, flux integrals.
- Integral Theorems (§4):
gradient, divergence and curl, vector identities,
divergence theorem, Green's theorem, Stokes' theorem, applications.
- There will be two midterms (tentatively scheduled for Wednesday,
February 7 and Wednesday, March 14) accounting for about 40% of the final mark.
- There will be weekly problem sets accounting for about 5% of the final mark.
- The final exam will account for about 55% of the final mark.
- Grades will probably be scaled.