Khoa Dang Nguyen
Department of Mathematics and
The Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences
The University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4
1st email address: abc at xyz (where abc=khoanguyen2511 and xyz=gmail.com)
2nd email address: abc at xyz (where abc=dknguyen and xyz=math.ubc.ca)
Research interests: Diophantine geometry, algebraic dynamics, and related problems in algebra and number theory.
5/2014: PhD in math at UC Berkeley. Co-advisors: Professors Thomas Scanlon and Paul Vojta (I was also mentored by Professor Thomas Tucker during a 3-month visit at ICERM.)
Teaching at UBC:
Spring 2015: MATH 101 (Integral Calculus with Applications)
Publications: (Warning: papers provided here may be different from the published versions)
1. (with B. Schmidt) Fast computation of Gauss sums and resolution of the root of unity ambiguity. Acta Arith. 140 (2009), 205-232. pdf
2. (with C. Gratton and T. Tucker) ABC implies primitive prime divisors in arithmetic dynamics. Bull. London Math. Soc. 45 (2013), 1194-1208
3. Some arithmetic dynamics of diagonally split polynomial maps. Int. Math. Res. Not. IMRN. 2015 (2015), 1159-1199
4. Algebraic independence of local conjugacies and related questions in polynomial dynamics. Proceedings AMS, 143 (2015), 1491-1499
5. (with D. Ghioca and T. Tucker) Portraits of preperiodic points for rational maps. Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc., 159 (2015), 165-186.
6. On modules of integral elements over finitely generated domains. Accepted to Transactions AMS., 2015.
7. (with D. Ghioca and H. Krieger) A case of the dynamical André-Oort conjecture. Accepted to Int. Math. Res. Not. IMRN., 2015.
8. (with E. Amerik, P. Kurlberg, A. Towsley, B. Viray and F. Voloch) Evidence for the dynamical Brauer-Manin criterion. Accepted to Experimental Math., 2015.
Preprints and Work in Progress:
1. (with D. Ghioca) Dynamical anomalous subvarieties: structure and bounded height theorems. Revisions to Advances in Math., 2015.
2. (with D. Ghioca, H. Krieger, and H. Ye) The dynamical André-Oort conjecture: unicritical polynomials. Submitted, 2015.
Bernhard Schmidt, Chad Gratton, Tom Tucker, Katia Amerik, Par Kurlberg, Adam Towsley, Bianca Viray, Felipe Voloch, Dragos Ghioca, Holly Krieger, Hexi Ye.
Some slides: (for very short talks)
1. 5-minute talk at UNCG Summer School In Computational Number Theory 2013.
2. 25-minute talk at Pacific Northwest Number Theory Conference 2015.
Previous Teaching at Berkeley:
Spring 2013: GSI for MATH 54 (lecturer: Zvezdelina Stankova)
Fall 2013: GSI for MATH 16B (lecturer: James Demmel)
Spring 2014: GSI for MATH 16B (lecturer: Alexander Coward)