Math 221 (Section 204): Matrix Algebra, Spring 2018
Lecture: TTh 12:30-2:00, Mathematics Building Room 100
Textbook: Linear Algebra and its Applications by David C. Lay (revised
custom edition for UBC); we will cover nearly all of the book. Other editions of the book will have more chapters and different section numbering!
Office Hours: Modified office hours before Midterm 2! All still in
LSK Room 300.
(Usual office hour schedule: Thursday 2:00-3:00, Friday 1:00-2:00 in LSK Room
- CANCELLED office hour after class on Thursday March 15.
- Normal office hour 1:00-2:00 on Friday March 16.
- Extra office hour 2:00-3:00 on Tuesday March 20 (after class).
- Extra office hour 2:30-3:30 on Wednesday March 21.
Additional help is available at the Math
Grading: Grades in this class will be computed from homework (see
below), two in-class midterms, and a final exam. Your grade will be whichever
of the two numbers below are higher:
- 10% Homework, 20% Midterm 1, 20% Midterm 2, 50% Final exam
- 10% Homework, 20% Best midterm score, 70% Final exam (If you miss one
midterm for any reason this will be the method used)
Homework: Homework in this class will be online, through the WeBWork system. One
assignment will be posted each week, due the following week as noted on the
lecture schedule. Your lowest homework grade will be dropped at the end of the
Note that the textbook also has many practice problems with answers in the
back. It is recommended that you try all these problems, so that you may track
- You may attempt each question as often as you like until you solve the
problem. There is no penalty for a wrong answer. This is to help you correct
your own mistakes, and to get instant feedback on your attempts.
- The questions are generated randomly, and the numbers are different for
- Please try to do the problems by yourself, and without the use of other
calculators or software. Since calculators and software are not allowed in
the exams, you should practice working without them.
- If you really get stuck, you can request help by clicking the email
instructor button. However, it may take some time to get a response, so
please don't wait till the last minute.
- In general, its a good idea to start the assignments early rather than
waiting till the last minute. The deadlines are enforced by the system, and
it will shut down automatically when time is up, so give yourself plenty of
extra time in case of problems.