Mathematics 309 - the elementary geometry of wave motion
Part I - Simple Geometric Motion of Waves
- In order to understand the geometry of waves, we have to understand the geometry
of simple waves, since light posseses the properties of waves.
- Simple waves have 3 main parts: Velocity, Frequency and Wavelength. We will use
greek letters to represent some of the three parts.
c = Velocity
w = Frequency
l = Wavelength
- The period T, is equal to one divided by the frequency.
T = 1 / w
- There are two kinds of units for frequencys, cycles per seconds and radians per second.
- Any two of these can be used to calculate the third, for example:
T = 1 / (w / 2p) = 2p /w
c = l / T = lw / 2p
- Here is the graphical representation of the wavelength, with the function f(x)
The function y = cos (x -ct)