Mathematics 100 - Term 1 2011-2012
"Differential Calculus with Physical Applications"
Link to Math 100 and 180 common website
Lecture time and location
- Section 105A is taught by Michael Bennett
Lecturer: Michael Bennett
- Mathematics Building Room 220
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please put "MATH100" in the subject line of your email.
- Phone: 604-822-2251
- Office hours - the TA for the course, Samuli Leppanen, will hold office hours every Thursday in LSK100D, starting September 22nd, from 12-3.
- My office hours are MWF 9-10, in Math220.
- You can also make an appointment by email.
Workshop and tutorial hours
- Information about drop-in tutorials can be found here. The
page should be complete in the near future.
- The drop-in tutorials are available for students in our class from 9-7,
Monday to Thursday, and from 9-4 on Friday. They are held in LSK 100..
- The new homework derivatives6 will open on Friday, October 28th.
- An even newer homework assignment "mean-value-theorem" will open on Wednesday, November 2nd -- it's due Monday, November 7th.
James Stewart: Calculus - Early transcendentals 7th edition.
See the common
website for more details.
Assessment and Grading scheme
- Your final mark will be calculated as follows
- 50% = common final exam (December)
- 40% = two in class midterm tests (October 5 and November 9)
- 10% = homework
- I will not give make-up midterms or exams.
- If you are forced to miss assessment due to illness then we need
to be notified within 72 hours. When you are healthy again we can
discuss re-weighting your marks. We will need to see original written
documentation in the form of a letter from your doctor. If you do not
follow these guidelines, then a score of zero will be given for the
Midterm and Exam
- The final exam will be in December - please do not make travel
plans until the date becomes known.
- The midterms will be held in class on October 5th and November 9th.
- A practice midterm (now with solutions!) is available here.
- A new practice midterm (for Midterm 2, NOW WITH SOLUTIONS!) is now available here.
- Another practice midterm from a different section is available
Ignore questions 1 (b) and 1(d).
- Yet another practice midterm from a different section is available
- Homework will be assigned week-by-week using the online WebWork system.
To access the homework assignments, you need to go to the
, login using your CWL login
Keep your eyes open for new assignments on WebWork.
- From time to time we might put some extra notes up here.