Mathematics Dept.
  Undergraduate Advising

If you are having trouble registering for a Math Course, or the information here need to be updated, please contact or call 604-822-2666. Do Not Contact an Academic Advisor for help with Registration Issues. They are to be contacted for Academic Advising only.

The Frequently Asked Questions below covers a wide range of common questions on a diverse set of topics. If your question is not in this FAQ and does not relate to registration issues, contact the appropriate individual on the Advisor Contact Information list below based on the nature of your inquiry.

The department holds an annual Mathematics Information Session in March and maintains a page of material and links that are discussed at the session.

Frequently Asked Questions - Courses

  1. BSc and BA students may not repeat MATH courses for higher standing. Students in other faculties may, provided there is space in the course.
    (ID 57)
  2. Applied Science students take similar mathematics courses to Science/Arts Mathematics students. Many of these are treated by the Mathematics Department as equivalent for the purposes of prerequisites (PQ) and/or program requirements (PR).
    APSC course(s) takenMathematics course(s) requiredEquivalent wrt
    APSC 160 + CPSC 260CPSC 111+CPSC 211PR
    APSC 160CPSC 111PR
    MATH 152MATH 221PR, PQ
    MATH 217MATH 200PR, PQ
    MATH 255MATH 215PR, PQ
    MATH 256MATH 215PR
    Math 257Math 316PR, PQ
    Other coursesMATH course(s) requiredEquivalent wrt
    STAT 302MATH 302PR, PQ
    These equivalences apply only to courses that are required for Mathematics specializations (PR) or are prerequisites for MATH courses. If you are an Ap. Sc. students wanting to make similar kinds of replacements (e.g. MATH 221 instead of MATH 152), you must contact the Applied Science Advising Center to get official permission to make any such changes. Similarly, this list does not apply to prerequisites for non-MATH courses (e.g. APSC 160 may not be a valid prerequisite replacement for CPSC 111 for a second year CPSC course - permission must be granted by a CS advisor).
    (ID 34)
  3. This is really up to you. If you take credit for MATH 100, you can open up room for an additional course you are interested in or that would help you get ahead in your degree program (MATH 223 or 221 is a good option in first year if you follow this route). Some students prefer to take MATH 100 instead, to firm up their knowledge.
    (ID 58)
  4. Math 100/101, 102/103 and 104/105 all cover the same mathematics material but have different applications. Math 180 and 184 are equivalent to Math 100/102/104 but designed for students without high school calculus. Math 110 is a two-term course equivalent to Math 180/184 but designed for students with lower grades in grade 12 math. Math 120/121 is the honours version of first year calculus.

    Math 100/180/110/101 have physical applications. Math 102/103 have life science applications; they also have a computer lab (one hour every two weeks) that the others don't have. Math 104/184/105 have business and social science applications.

    Additional information is available on the department's website, in the Undergraduates tab, under First Year Calculus Choices.
    (ID 56)
  5. Any courses at the 300+ level can be used toward the 18 credits required for the BSc minor except for a few whose descriptions in the Calendar rule them out (e.g. MATH 335). Math 200, 215 and 221 are the most common prerequisites for 300+ courses so it is almost certain that you will have to take some or all of these as well. These courses will also help you get a better sense of your interests. In general, talking to your peers, particularly those a year or two ahead of you, is the best way of finding out about courses that may interest you.
    (ID 35)
  6. Yes, these two courses are entirely equivalent.
    (ID 72)
  7. Note that some courses are typically offered only every two years. See the department's record of recent course offerings.
    (ID 38)
  8. The Faculty of Science credit-exclusion list gives sets of courses for which credit may be claimed for only one. Credit exclusion does not indicate that the courses are interchangeable with regard to program requirements or satisfying prerequisites.
    (ID 36)
  9. No. Exceptions might be made for students switching programs but, in general, no.
    (ID 64)
  10. Students with a Grade 11 Math background (and no higher), can take Math 230 or Math 335.
    (ID 55)
  11. The UBC SSC has a list of currently offered MATH courses
    (ID 52)
Return to topic list

Disclaimer: In all cases of inconsistencies between this FAQ and the UBC Calendar, the UBC Calendar supersedes the material here.

Advisor Contact Information

Advising roleNameOfficePhoneEmail*
1st year AdvisorMargaret NessMATH 121822-6430ness
2nd year Non-MathDr. Young-Heon KimMATH 216822-6324yhkim
3rd year Non-MathDr. Young-Heon KimMATH 216822-6324yhkim
4th-5th year Non-MathDr. Young-Heon KimMATH 216822-6324yhkim
2nd year Honours (or combined honours)Dr. Josh ZahlMATH 117822-0683jzahl
3rd year Honours (or combined honours)Dr. Dragos GhiocaMATX 1223822-5908dghioca
4th year Honours (or combined honours)Dr. Dragos GhiocaMATX 1223822-5908dghioca
2nd year Majors/MinorsDr. Tai-Peng TsaiMATH 109822-2591ttsai
3rd year Majors/MinorsDr. Albert ChauMATH 239822-2450chau
4th year Majors/MinorsDr. Albert ChauMATH 239822-2450chau
Transfer of Credits & AP Exemptions AdvisorsDr. Kalle KaruMATH 213822-4787karumore info
Dual Degree Math/Ed (Education Advisor)Dr. Julia GordonMATH 217 822-0569 gor
Adjudication of graduating studentsDr. Kai BehrendMATX 1213822-1719behrend
Adjudication of graduating studentsDr. Jim BryanMATH 226827-4515jbryan
Actuarial AdvisorDr. Colin MacdonaldLSK 303C822-6871cbm
Co-op LiaisonDr. Neil BalmforthMATH 229C827-3034njb
Putnam AdvisorDr. Dragos GhiocaMATX 1223822-5908dghioca
Chief AdvisorDr. Albert ChauMATH 239822-2450chau
Undergraduate ChairProf. Mark Mac LeanMATX 1209827-3038ugradchair

*To complete the email address, please add after the user name.