Question: How do I print colour print jobs (e.g. transparencies)?
Author: Joseph Tam, The Ha, Thi Nguyen
Date: Jan. 29, 2009
The department has 3 laser colour printers for use:
- Peacock: HP, MATH121 (Office, see Graduate Secretary)
- Jay: Xerox 7750DN, MATH1108
- Moa: Xerox 7760DN, MATH222
Access to these printers is curtailed to Faculty and Staff due to the cost
of consumables. Other users can gain access to the colour printer provided
they can show it is for department business. Attempts to print to these printers
without proper authorization fail; you may also receive an Email notice about
the failed attempt.
Sending print job using the Unix command line
The method to send print jobs to the colour printers is the same as for the
public laser printers. From Unix, you can submit jobs via the application
menus or the Unix command line:
# Single sided
lpr -Pjay file.ps
lpr -Pmoa file.ps
# Double sided
lpr -Pjay2 file.ps
lpr -Pmoa2 file.ps
lpr -Pjay-transp file.ps
lpr -Pmoa-transp file.ps
Sending print job using Windows
In order to use these printers from a Windows workstation, you must have
a working Samba password to provide the necessary authentication. If one has
not already been set up for you, you can update your Samba password by
following the instructions in this FAQ:
How do I change my password?
You can use the "Print" menu in your application to
- Select which printer to send your printout to.
- Select whether you want single-sided or double sided output.
- Select the media type (i.e. you must set the "Output Paper
Type" to "Transparency" in order for the correct printing tray
to be used).
Detailed Instructions on Loading Colour Transparencies
Obtain suitable printing stock: transparencies made for laser printing
can be purchased from the UBC Bookstore or from the receptionist in
the Mathematics Office. Make sure the transparencies are designed for
use in colour laser printers: other types may damage the printer.
The Multi-Purpose Tray (MPT, Tray 1) has been configured by default
to use transparencies. Please use this tray for transparencies only:
do not put regular paper stock in this tray. Feed the transparency one
at a time into the hopper, with any paper backing face-up (and away from
the input side if it is a strip). The printer may prompt you with a beep
to confirm that the media type is a transparency: confirm by pressing the
After loading the MPT tray, you can send your printout to the printer
with the methods outlined in the previous sections.
- If you are printing more than a few pages on expensive media, it's useful
to make a test run using paper if you are unfamiliar with the procedure
- If printing a large job, you may also want to break up a large files into
smaller print jobs (psselect is a useful utility to extract pages from a Postscript
file) so that if things go awry, you can limit the waste.
- Double check the single-sided/doubled sided option.
- If nothing is coming out, check that
- your Email to see that you are authorized to print to these printers;
- the printer's LCD window to see if there conditions that prevent usage
(e.g. out of paper);
- the printer is properly warmed up. The printer needs a few minutes
to warm up after long period of inactivity; do not be impatient and
resend the job, otherwise you may get 2 copies;
- you have sent it to the correct printer and not to another
printer by mistake.