faqFrequently Asked Questions about the Summer School
Can I get funding?
The deadline for applying for funding will be December 31. Check later for instructions. X
Is there an registration fee?
There is a $100 registration fee to cover the cost of refreshments on each day and other social activities. Registration will open in February.X
Can I get travel funding?
Our current budget allows us to offer local expenses for some participants. Some NSF may allow reimbursement of travel expenses for US based participants.X
Can I submit my CV in a format other than PDF?
We anticipate many applications. To streamline our process, it would be helpful if all documents are in a single format. There are free applications for converting from many formats to PDF.X
When will funding be decided?
Funded applicants have been notified. Should ther be cancellations, we will get in touch with additional applicants.X
I'm funded; Where will I be staying?
Funded participants will be staying at suites on campus, mostly at Gage towers. These have several bedrooms, and a shared kitchen and bathrooms. Most have good views.X
- Where is Gage?
- Where is PIMS? Where are the lectures?
I'm not funded; Where can I stay? How much will it cost?
Typical monthly rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in Vancouver is about $1300 and up (sometimes much higher). A room in a shared apartment is less. There are some options for staying on campus which is recommended in order to socialize with other participants.
- It is possible to find short term sublets/rentals through Craigslist. (search for UBC in the Craigslist sublet category.) Many other places are off campus (anything along 4th or broadway will have frequent and fast bus service to UBC).
- Airbnb has many rooms and apartments for rent, at all price levels.
- UBC residences have a variety of rooms available at various rates. These range from simple dorm rooms to the high end West Coast suites.
- Green and St. John's colleges have rooms.
- Carey Centre have Twin, Queen, Studio rooms and 1 and 2 bedroom suites. X
Do I need a visa for Canada? Can you help?
Participants from some countries require a visa to enter Canada (which can take some time). Some others need to apply for an electronic travel authorization before flying, which normally takes a few minutes. It is your responsibility to find out whether you need a visa. If you do, Ruth Situma (email:firstname.lastname@example.org) can assist in this. Please also read this information from PIMS.X
What is that image in the background?
Nothing there at the moment. get your vision checked. At the top is sunset on the Howe sound, seen from the Cypress ski hill at the outskirts of Vancouver.X
information about excusrions is here: "https://www.math.ubc.ca/~saraiht/ssprob17/excursion.php"X